Dienstag, 17. März 2015

Scooter Accident

Because I was asked over and over again here it is the whole story:


Kuta in Lombok. Lovely place but you just need a scooter to go around. So did we. The first day was absolutely fine, actually I loved it to ride the scooter. And I was super lucky that the crash didn't happen on that first day. Without helmet and somewhere on the road up and down the hills. By night. 
Second day started with a small crash. As soon as I left the Hostel, the scooter just felt to the right side. I thought it was a stone in the wheel. And I was not hurt, so I got on it again. 10 Minutes later I recognized while driving that the Scooter had a drift to the left side. I couldn't really turn right and actually it was super stupid to not stop it immediately. It got that worse that I had the feeling the scooter would directly drift away from the street and I couldn't go against it.
But since it never happened and we only had a short way to ride I still didn't stop but just went slower (which was easy cause I couldn't really give gas as the day before, as I found out later). Then there was this tiny hole in the street and I just wanted to get around, turned a little to the right and the frontwheel just blocked completely. Scooterchen and me both smashed on the street, fortunately he smashed left and I smashed right (don't wanna know what would have happened if he would have landed on me...). All in one I was super lucky. Helmet and nothing landing on me, of course several abraisions but nothing serious - I thought. We called the Hostel to pick us up and they came - on scooters....

I told them what have happened but they would just laughing at me, thinking I just couldn't ride. When one of the guys got on the scooter to ride it home, I tried one more time to warn him but he was just greening, showing me how well it works. On the way back he even got ahed of us to show (off....) how good the scooter was, how well it would ride and how stupid I was. 2 minutes later he had a hole in his knee. Same thing happened and he felt directly with his knee on a stone, which went in 3-5 cm. the other guy brought me to the hospital (much friendlier after that second accident) and I sat in that Hospital the next two hours, cleaning, screaming and calling the assurance. Luckily there were some other Germans. Medicin students, which was great since I couldn't really decide what medicin I would need and what not at that point. Fot the moment I just was in pain and when the nurse took all the sand and small stones out of my skin I almost destroyed the pillow biting it. The two med students came over to hold my hand when they saw me and I was so happy to have them around,helping me out with all this pills and creme offers from the nurse (they just wanted to give me a whole pharmacy and I wa so tired at that point that I couldn't help myself) after one more call to the assurance a nurse drove me to the hostel.... (of course on a scooter....) to get my papers and back to the hospital (that was maybe the worst, i just needed some rest but we had to fix all this paperstuff first. So I had to sit on the scooter all day long). When finally everything was done, i just got back to the hostel and watched a movie. It still hurt but not as bad and I wasn't on pills so far. In the evening it get worse so I took some painkillers and later some drinks (no need to say anything but I really needed something to forget the day). The beachparty wasn't the best idea for sure but at that point I had everything covered and I wasn't in pain so I went.

My celebrating mood was over when a guy came to me to say sorry. It turned out that he was the mechanic who was supposed to fix the scooter and he told me he had talked to the owner 3 days ago that the frontbreak is broken and it would cost 150.000 Rupiah to fix it (almost 10€) the owner took the scooter back without fixing it and told the mechanic he would just rent it to the next tourist and when it would break down he could ask the tourist to pay for it. The mechanic told me he asked the owner not to because he knew there will be an accident in the next two days and so it happend. But the owner didn't care and rent the scooter to me.


The next day the knee was swollen and the pain was so much worse. I was Leonie-flipping-out-angry and "spoke" to the owner (who of course knew nothing.) he even told me the other guy had no accident (I mean, i was 2 m behind him when it happend and I saw it and he can not walk....). All I wanted at that point was leaving this place but I couldn't even put pants on without screaming so no way of packing and carring a backpack. Back to the hospital (fortunately I found Clemens, the involuntery nurse, who had a friend laying in hospital with dengue so he gave me a ride and bought me cookies and cigarettes while the doctor was cleaning and fixing my knee (again I bite the pillow even more than the day before) I tried to explain, that the skin is not the problem but the knee which was swollen and very painful but they just kept on cleaning the wounds until I draw them a picture of muscels and ligaments. Finally they understood and while they made some tests and spoke to my assurance I could lay down with my new nurse friend and his dengue friend and watch TV. Actually beeing in the hospital in Lombok can be great fun. after 3 days we all knew each other quite well and there was a nice loyality between all of us. Someone is travelling alone? Someone else will come over to hold hands or just to get something from the supermarket. Someone cannot explain the doctor a problem? Someone else will jump in to help. Even my two medicin students came back to look after us but in the end there was pain and still no clue what was wrong with my knee. Since the hospital had no mrt we just could wait. Either it was an infection which went to the inside or it was something with the muscles and ligaments. The doctor finally gave me all of this pills I first didn't want to take in the first plaace (i really didn't care longer, I just wanted that pain to go away) and I sleept for the next 12 hours. The next day was nothing but sitting around, watching movies on my ipad, cleaning the wounds and sleeping and one day later it got a little better. For now I just wait to get away from this place and for the wounds to close (because it's really annoying.... Cant do anything on the beach or whereever and there are flies everywhere which is quite disgusting.) I also miss my shoes since they were in the scooter which is missed too and I dont see the point of paying anything for new shoes just because the people here are shitty assholes. Anyway. I'll leave as soon as possible (for the moment it looks like it's getting better) and until this day I have a really nice company. She has a big cut on her leg too and we are cleaning our wounds together. But her wounds actually look better than mine so I'm thinking of doing it her way: just licking it.  Did I mentioned that she is a dog? ;)
Neighbourdog and me lickingour wounds together...

                                               
EDIT: this post was made one week before. Finally I didn't had to pay the scooter, got back my shoes and could finally leave Lombok. Knee is much better (even after I ripped it again at the rice fields...) and I'm back enjoying this trip :)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen